Monday, April 12, 2010

Brewing a Perfect Cup of Coffee


A great cup of coffee is awesome. It not only smells great, but it tastes great and you can enjoy sipping it for a long time. Many enjoy the slight stimulant effect of the caffeine, and modern day caffeine free varieties are pretty tasty as well if you prefer. You can add milk, cream, or sugar as you prefer, and have it made strong such as espresso or a weaker variety if you prefer.

I like single cup brewers myself so that each cup is made to order and perfectly fresh. It's very hard to beat a small French press but there are other good types too and partially it comes down to preference. I've used several and the French press is perfect for me. Make sure it is clean before starting.

You'll also need water. The tap water may be fine or it may not be. I find most tap water is acceptable but in some areas it may be off tasting. For example the water in my office is very mineral laden and tastes bad so I use jugs of inexpensive water from the market or bring jugs from home. Bad tasting water will make bad tasting coffee and it is primarily water after all!

The beans are also important. Tastes vary a lot here, but you want freshly roasted and ground beans. There is no way instant or coffee in a can will match fresh, any more than frozen fish sticks can match the taste of stunningly fresh fish. I'm always trying new beans as I enjoy variety too.

What type of mug do you prefer? I like a ceramic mug, maybe 16 ounces or so, and I fill it with very hot water first so that my coffee stays hot a long time. I'll also occasionally use a metal travel mug in the car.

So, you've made a great cup, how to enjoy it best? Some may prefer to just sit and think, but I usually kill off a few emails as I'm drinking. I prefer to wait after the kids and wife are gone so I can enjoy it in relative peace and solitude as compared to the mayhem of getting three kids fed, three lunches made, and them off to the school bus in time. You however may prefer drinking it during mayhem and upheaval. Like many details, what is perfect for you is up to your own individual tastes and desires, and that's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment